Friday, May 21, 2010

Crossroads to Africa

Spent Thursday with Jackie, a friend, who will leave shortly for Togo on an OCA cross-cultural project. She's leading a team of nine volunteers who will work respectively on a reforestration, microfinance business and an education project. It will be the first trip to Africa for her team members.

Driving home I found my thoughts wandering back to Mother Africa. Africa is my ineffable joy. The next day I searched in vain for my memory book, also known as, a travel journal. I wanted to relive that first visceral connection with the continent--an awakening. Some of it was painful, all of it was cathartic. That journey or homecoming gave birth to my passionate love for its people, the land, new, strange and sometimes, puzzling customs. I fell in love with my African self.

I did locate a few poems which I penned in Ghana.

~My DNA's Journey~
The sea could not bear me again
I travel via air through the portal of time.
The journey is complete
I am on African soil.
Home.
# # #
I am a prayer made flesh
Tears, sweat and blood
Music of your lungs and the power of your loins
I am the fruit of your womb; or is it your wounds?

2 comments:

  1. When were you in Ghana? Where are you going next?

    Very interesting heritage poems about your journey to Africa. One day I'll go.

    Thanks,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY POWERFUL!
    Do you have travel stories?

    ReplyDelete