Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Reluctant Environmentalist

Earth Day was celebrated on April 22nd but I had no plans to participate in neighborhood or regional activities, and didn’t. But it seems Mother Nature cajoled me into some outdoor housekeeping nonetheless – a month later.

While out walking my neighborhood, I spotted numerous empty plastic bottles and litter strewn about where I trek for exercise. I’m very observant about trash. Disgusted I shook my head but thought there’s nothing I can do: there’s no nearby trash can. I have nothing to put this garbage in; and my hands would get dirty when suddenly an empty plastic bag blew by my feet putting an end to my objections. It was almost as if Mother Earth commanded my assistance, so I bent down, picked up the bag then gathered the recyclables, e.g., cans, glass and plastic bottles that littered my route. Why do some thoughtless people behave as if the outdoors is their private trash dump? My verdant green neighborhood is beautiful; I would like it to remain this way.
*
After my first trip to Africa I returned home more water conscious. There I discovered that water is a precious resource. I learned that clean water is medicine; it heals and wards off minor illnesses. It was the 90s, and I congratulated myself by doing my part simply by turning off the faucet while I brushed my teeth and shortening my showers upon returning home. It took a second African sojourn to give birth to a serious water conservationist. Since then I’ve conserved water use and waste. I recycle water. I flush less, particularly between midnight and dawn. I stopped emptying old prescriptions into the toilet. I learned more about waste that pollute our local and national waterways. I have taken greater interest in oil spills as well as refuse and toxins that make its way into the local sewage systems.
*
Dangerous lipid levels tricked me into eating several meatless meals. While Lipitor managed my cholesterol for a time, the triglyceride refused to be minimized unless I ate considerably less meat and more vegetables and legumes. Once vegetables took center stage I paid more attention where my food was grown. I began to frequent farmer’s market and learn about eating veggies in their harvest season.

I am starting my very first vegetable garden. A crash reading course on gardening has left me greatly concerned about the pesticides routinely used to treat our lawn. If I’m going to eat what I grow, I want organic vegetables—and soil matters. Healthy dirt is key to a bountiful harvest. I’ll start with containers and garden boxes this growing season to allow myself a longer learning curve. I am intent on starting a compost pile for future planting. Learning the fundamentals of composting, often referred to as black gold, is crucial to the life of an organic garden.
*
After spending time on an orphanage compound that lacked electrical energy, I began dreaming of a home where fifty youngsters would have light to read by and the possibility to learn about and use computer technology. Solar energy is a viable energy option for this facility. After realizing that it makes great sense there, I realized it makes great sense here. The need for safe, renewable, cheap (or cheaper) clean energy is critical since I depend on modern conveniences. Also, I can live with less energy dependency. But I’ve done little to learn about this field. I feel lazy when it comes to learning scientific things. However, I shall explore having solar panels on my next house.
*
By Earth Day 2011, I intend to lighten my eco-footprint another 50 percent. A healthy planet is critical to human and animal life. I care about my home planet; reluctantly I realize it’s time to take better care of Mother Earth and not because she’s all I’ve got -- I want future generations to thrive. And it’s a beautiful world after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment