Sunday, May 2, 2010

Haïku Efforts

Last week a friend invited me to write and share Haïku poems with her after she listened to an inspiring interview of scholar, activist, and poet Sonia Sanchez. This request evoked a painful moment in my creative past when after a few weeks in Japan I rendered my joyful and mystical experiences into Haïku. I shared them, but was summarily informed that my poetry was NOT Haïku. And that I disregarded every aspect of this revered poetic tradition. Enough said! I never wrote another.

Fast forward – I like some challenges. I love word play; in fact, I am in love with words and their power. Crafting a real Haïku seems a delicious challenge now, although essays and short stories are my favorite things to pen.

I picked up the gauntlet. My initial efforts were excruciating, much like I’ve imagined childbirth. Wry Creation was the flippant result after hours of struggle but ego could not give up. I am pleased with Aroma Therapy which seems to honor all the Japanese requirements. Eventually I hope to create something lovely, and perhaps truly poignant. I shall call upon my muse but meanwhile here are my humble beginnings. What do you, think?

[Oh yes, I do realize Haïku poems are not titled, please grant this student poetic license.]

[Wry Creation]

Haïku eludes me
Its form defy my capture
Exerting its power


[Aroma Therapy]

Amidst swaying pines
Winds soothe like holy waters
For body and soul

1 comment: