Friday, July 2, 2010

Medicine for Melancholy film query

Have you seen this 2008 film: Medicine for Melancholy? I’m trying to identify several sites the characters visited in the San Francisco area. It’s a smart, provocative story of a young Black couple’s one-night stand laden rich with a discussion of contemporary racial politics, i.e., identity, dating, gentrification, etc. Also, San Francisco is more than a backdrop for this storyline, it’s another tantalizing character. (I love the SF, Oakland, Berkeley, and wine country region.)

I want to know more about several places they visited on this 24-hour fling. It seemed like a culturally rich African American tour of the city. One site appeared to be a gallery hosting an audio-exhibit, a door had Maya Angelou’s name on it; another place was an urban waterfall and beneath the serene downfall, a wall inscribed with powerful thoughts of some noted African American and then there was a popular place where the spoken word was revered.

This artsy film aired on Showtime (on our DirectTV channel) but I missed the credits which may have cited these interesting venues which I want to visit. If you get a chance please screen this film. I think many of you will find it interesting. And if you have, or do see it then let’s talk about a couple of points. Medicine for Melancholy, a provocative film with discernible layers. Hopefully, I’ll get to see the film again, and soon.

1 comment:

  1. I missed this film, sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete