Tuesday, July 6, 2010

ISO healthy turbo boost (Have you tried electrolytes?)

Walked early today in this oppressive heat, it wasn’t the temperature or unabated sunshine that had me feeling like I was melting, it was the dank humidity! Immediately upon returning home I downed 2 glasses of delicious cold water but it didn’t refresh me like I expected or needed. Minutes later I had a piece of fresh fruit thinking that my body would benefit from a healthy glucose rush &/or antioxidants—I really wanted sweetened iced lemonade, but I found my body still unsatisfied. I doubled checked myself to make certain I wasn’t dehydrated. Satisfied my body was flushed, I headed to the shower.

As water flowed over me the word: Electrolytes entered my thoughts. Electrolytes, what are they, only the print or televised ads came to mind. Why would I even think of such things--electrolytes? I’m wondering now if I’m even spelling the word correctly. Ever the non-athlete, I have never tasted a Gatorade or any sports drinks made popular by professional athletes and the marketing machinery. But I’m pausing to consider: Is my body talking to me in ways differently from the usual painful scenario? Would an electrolyte boost relieve me of this strange thirst for liquid rejuvenation?

I do want to reward this organic machine -- my blessed body -- for heartily carrying me around the neighborhood today and through the years, in spite of my ignorance, abuse and neglect. Do my cells require electrolytes or something more than common fluids to replenish it on dog days such as these? Electrolytes: It’s my big question for today.

1 comment: